Monday 27 March 2017

Bully Boy Blue - John Nicholl

Every aspect of Kathy’s life is dominated by her abusive bully boy husband. Now she’s pregnant and in fear for her life. Can she ever escape him?


What did I think?

I don't usually read short stories but made an exception for this one and bully boy am I glad that I did.  It's a very short story, no more than an hour's worth of reading, but it packs a HUGE punch, if you will excuse the pun.

Kathy is an abused wife but nobody believes her and she can't inform the police as her husband is a police inspector.  Everyone loves Mike Connor, he has a lot to put up with as his wife, Kathy, is struggling with her mental health after her miscarriage.  Little do people know that he brought on the miscarriage.  When Kathy finds out that she is pregnant again she will do ANYTHING to protect her unborn child.  So watch out Mike, Kathy's coming to get you!

Wow!  What an amazing novella.  I defy anyone to tear their eyes away from the page whilst reading this.  Kathy's plight is one that is sadly experienced by many women (and men) and John Nicholl has really raised awareness of domestic violence by showing us that appearances can be VERY deceptive.  Of course, I was ultimately rooting for Kathy and showing her to be a strong character in the end, gives hope and a voice to so many women suffering the same fate.

Don't be put off by this being a novella, it's short but certainly not sweet, and will leave you with your eyes wide open and a compulsion to look at the signs, however subtle, being given by the people around you.  Bully Boy Blue is such a brave and impressive book - don't miss it!

I chose to read an ARC and this is my honest and unbiased opinion.

My rating:




Buy it from Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to read and review my novella, it's appreciated.

    ReplyDelete