Saturday 2 January 2016

Career Girls - Louise Bagshawe


All's fair in love and war?  Blonde, beautiful, upper-class Rowena Gordon is the perfect English rose.  Topaz Rossi is a feisty, Italian-American red-head from Brooklyn.  Both are determined and talented.  And there's nothing they wouldn't do for each other. Until Rowena hooks up with Topaz's boyfriend.  Now, years later, they are star career girls at the top of their game; Topaz in journalism, Rowena in the music industry.  When their paths cross again, Topaz is not about to just forgive and forget.  She'll do everything in her power to shatter Rowena's success.  And Rowena will do anything to stop her...

What did I think?

I was pre-warned that this book was a little steamy and it certainly was!  Sex scenes aside, it was actually a really enjoyable story about two women who used to be friends at university but fell out when Rowena slept with Topaz's boyfriend.  When they both find themselves in New York, whilst trying to climb the career ladder, we find out that Topaz has neither forgiven nor forgotten Rowena and seeks her revenge.

Rowena is a young executive in the music industry, trying to discover bands and make a name for herself.  Topaz is climbing the ladder in magazines and uses her influence to take shots at Rowena every chance she gets.  It was really exciting to see what Topaz would do next and I almost forgot that Rowena was the boyfriend-stealing baddie and started to feel sorry for her.  Then Rowena starts an affair with a married man, making any compassion I felt for her melt away like the ice cubes in my gin and tonic (who am I kidding, I don't water down my drinks).

I wouldn't have the energy to carry a grudge like Topaz, but it certainly made good reading.  As they were mixing in the same social circles, I did wonder if they could ever bury the hatchet and be friends again.  When business eventually throws them together, I couldn't put the book down!

As with other Louise Bagshawe books we are treated to excellent descriptions of items being worn.  This one didn't feel it was advertising as much as Destiny but I still wondered if people in New York walked backwards as their ass always seems to get a mention.

It was a nice few hours of escapism from Louise Bagshawe with the glitz and glamour of New York's social scene and the cut-throat backstabbing of the business world.

My rating:





No comments:

Post a Comment